Sunday 15 May 2011

Debra Paget's nice high waisted jeans (Elvis filmarama no 1: Love me tender, 1956)


In 2007 I braced myself and headed into uncharted waters with the task of watching all 31 of Elvis' films (for those of you interested a list of 'em is here). Over the coming weeks I'm gonna let you folks know what schizz I scribbled about 'em. I promise there will be some good, bad and extremely ugly songs and clips for you to lap up. First up: 'Love me tender'


First off I have to say that I have never been a big fan of the song 'Love me tender' which I find on the schnoozy side of boring (you get multiple versions here), that said I had high hopes for a 'gritty' first Elvis film. The plot is as follows: Elvis's brothers steal some cash under orders during the civil war and don't realise the war is over and decide to keep it. This one is in black and white and Elvis croaks at the end.

For the songs we have the musical theatre styled 'We're gonna move' ('nice song with deep backing vocals'); 'Love me tender'; 'Let me' ('Crazy song sung wearing a boot lace tie on the back of a truck'); 'Poor boy' ('Hillbilly accordian') Over all light on the songs with nothing much to remember/ write home about...

Elvis= Clint Reno
Score= 8/10
Elvis Score= 2/3
Leading lady= Debra Paget 5/10
Songs= 6/10
Viewed= 17/11/07

Elvis fact- Elvis's first word on screen' 'Vance!'

No comments:

Post a Comment