Wednesday 22 December 2010

It's the end of the year...


And so on to my last visit to Densville for the year. Yup things have took a little bit of a beating on 2009 with the slip ups along the way but I promise to fix that. There's also been the arrival of Den Jnr to take me away from my corner of the net and a dropping off of burlesque/ cabaret. I put this down to the fact of the lack of new acts/ performers that have blown me away. Yup, there's plenty of them out there but very few doing anything new or interesting...Anyway, enough of my yacking: let's boogie with Tom, Charlie & Billie



A rare visit to these pages to one of my heroes- Tom Jones. I only discovered this by accident having snaffled it up (using the old adage that any Tom Jones single is worth buying to check out the flip side...) from one of my cheapo sellers recently. I was familiar with Jerry Reed's daft ode to Elvis which features the annoying fade out (Jerry never seems to know how to end his songs...) but somehow Tom's version slipped me by 'til now.




Another one that arrived at Chez Den on Christmas Eve was a double Charlie Rich album. 'I can't go on' being a new one on me that up to now is the stand-out track. This Youtube clip also features 'Dance of love' covered by non other than Tom Jones. I've also recently snagged a copy of 'Mohair Sam' by Peggy Lee but we'll save that for another day...A nice beat ballad type tune on this one that I can imagine the freaks flipping their straightened barnets over if it was by Johnny Obscure on a white label promo...Anyways, check out the 'white feather'!



A great mid-sixties promo from the ever striking Billie Davis. If you could open a tin that said sixties girl singer this is what you'd find inside. She has a look of Sandie Shaw and arguably churned out better singles at her peek than Sandie's Chris Andrews' efforts which often leave me cold. If you like this one seek out ' I want you to be my baby' and 'Tell him' but avoid 'Billy sunshine' like the plague. I'm putting that one down to Jet Harris' influence!

Billie Davis- Watcha gonna do

No comments:

Post a Comment