Thursday 19 August 2010

Yorkshire breakfast vs Derbyshire breakfast


It's all TV/ Films and Books this week in Densville. We've had the fantastic 'Scott Pilgrim vs. the world', 'Darkmans' by Nicola Barker as well as dips into 'Vexed', 'Nowhere boy', 'Up' and the start of a Gene Kelly season.



And whilst I've been cramming my days with good stuff I ventured out to the flicks at 10:25 am the other day to see a preview of 'Scott Pilgrim vs. the world'. Loadsa booshwash out there about this one folks but the fetching Mary Elizabeth Winstead is my crush of the week with her ever-changing barnet. Den's fave is this here pink do.




'There are writers who exist to confirm people's feelings about themselves and to make them feel comforted or not alone. That's the opposite to what I do. I'm presenting people with unacceptable or hostile characters, and my desire is to make them understood.' (Nichola Barker)

I'm about 600 pages into 'Darkmans' by Nichola Barker which I snagged in a trade the other day. It's been a great read so far and I have to admit to putting Isadore/ Dory in the above category. That guy is a jerk...but come to think of it none of 'em are particularly nice...which makes a nice change. This one has been the story to my chilling on the beach at Scarborough and the Spa at Hope. Great cover as well..




A second outing to see Thomas Truax last week was more than I could hope for on a Wednesday night at the Grapes. Truly sublime, bizarre and ridiculous at points. This man is the man with a great ode to two long dead hipsters...

Thomas Truax- Joe Meek warns Buddy Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment