Wednesday 17 June 2009

Posh sausage sandwiches, fine coffee and out of reach platters

So, good news time; Den was out snarfin' and schlurpin' at the wonderful Rude Shipyard in Sheffield and buying up sides at the first Beat Miner's Social Club at The Washington, Fitzwilliam St (more of them tunes next week) and getting a free trip to The Lyceum to see 'Brief Encounter' whilst getting a free feed at Den Snr's...This time round: Billy Fury, Brief Encounter & Warren Speed.



So, whilst reading the cover notes of the fantastic CD 'The Rocker' which I borrowed from Den Snr (only £3 on Amazon!!!), it told me that Billy only expected to live to the age of 30 following a bout of childhood illness- jeez, he only made 43 but littered the 60's with more slabs of fantastic plastic than you can shake a stick at. I'm particularly fond of 'Bye bye', the B-side of 'I call my rose' from 1969 when Billy was the over-the-hill age of 29...Check 'em out...the version of Nothin' Shakin' makes The Beatles George Harrison-led version sound like the lily-livered pap it was!







I saw the fantastic stage version of 'Brief Encounter' on the company the other day, boy was it good! Best thing on the boards for a long time with a free glass of plonk and some nuts in the interval I was chuffed as little mint balls. See it!



So a little bit of 'boylesque' this week. I couldn't find the great Yorkshire routine by Warren Speed so the infamous chav-tastic attack will have to do. He knows how to work them knee high golf socks!  Dig it..



No comments:

Post a Comment