Thursday 20 May 2010

Fall in and dig the happenings


Another Burly Q is firmily under the belt and with just 6 weeks 'til the next un I gotta start movin'. The ol' idea box has been boxed in by a number of bad cats this week. And in this case bad isn't as good as you could possibly get. Take it away, Den.



So first up this time is the mildly amusing Ruth Wallis who I snarfed up an album called (and I kid yea not) "French postcards set to music". Outrageous I guess at the time this (and the actual vinyl, which sounds more like an LP pressed on wet cardboard) hasn't aged particularly well. I'd like the think the working title for this ditty to the hay parlor was "Beard".




I've just finished flicking the paper on Nick Tosches 'Dino'. I asked my sidekick Cherry the other night what she thought a Dean Martin roast was and her reply involved Frank Sinatra and some dumb dolly from the Sands hotel circa 1962. Anyhow, in my head I had visions of Dean and all his show biz pals all scoffing nosh around a big table. We were both wrong it's this bizarro concept...I'm told by Tosches that there was some clever editing going on in some of these as they couldn't get 'em all together at the same time. Avoid the Sammy Davis episode for the usual black and jew gags. This one, however, rips apart America's oldest and most intelligent Prez...Fudge me this Rickles character looks more like the Thing than that bloke who works with my trouble and strife!

Don Rickles on Dean Martin's Roast...roasting Ronald Reagan




I'm a bit hit and miss when it comes to plugging what I dig in the world of burlesk. But with the Burly Q hangover biting my better half pointed me in the direction of the NY- based Nasty Canasta and her fanstastical ginchy fan-dance. I dig it. You should too!

No comments:

Post a Comment