Saturday 20 February 2010

Fantastic Bagels, twisted cabaret & Earl Grey


So Den is back from the big smoke...no tunes snarfed this time as I was outta my usual Manor and holed up in the charming borough of Bethnal Green. I downed a tasty pint in The Sun on Bethnal Green Rd before heading to the Bethnal Green WMC for the Double R club- which was a-ma-zing! On the way down I was listening to plenty of pre- Supremes Motown (1960-1962)...which is shaping up as my favourite period. As for the rest of the jaunt there was some tasty, tasty bagels from the 24/7 Brick Lane Bagel Bake and a nice steaming cup o' Earl Grey in Rough Trade East. Enough of my domestics...



I once read that this was almost the closing record of the 3 before 8 at Wigan (instead of Jimmy Radcliffe) but it didnt make the cut. One things for certain...Brenda certainly wears the wicked eye- liner much better than Jimmy ever could...



I couldn't leave out my fave The Marvelettes if I'm talking Motown. Pretty much all their sides are worth a look, although their only UK hit 'When you're young and in love' is possibly their worst single (and that includes the oft- derided 'Twistin' Postman')



And finally a tasty slab of girl group (well 3/4s anyway) from Red Bird. What more can I say...It was hard finding a snap of this lot!




And so on to the fantastic Marawa who I've seen a couple of times now. This gal is smokin' and is the best hooper out there! Her facial expressions give me the shits and giggles. I first saw her in the Vincent Vincent and the Villains vid (remember them?) "On my own"




No comments:

Post a Comment