Saturday 17 January 2009

Bomb in the den!

Hello and welcome to Den's first broadcast. Den's got three tracks about the fairer sex, a great Twin Peaks Promo and the hootchie-kootchie queen Bernie Dexter...keep tuned in for regular posts and updates from Den's Den.




A bad attitude rock n roll tune featured on the LP “Nasty Rockabilly” Vol.5 which features a cover far too rude even for Den! This stormer features the unforgettable line…“If I had me a woman who was big and fat, I’d look her up and down like an alley cat”. This douche-bag later howls “If I had me a woman who was tall and thin, I wouldn’t care what state she was in”, the oddly named Blacky Vale or Mr. McVale to you clearly ain’t picky who he rolls in the hay with and for two minutes one second he don’t give a monkey’s who knows!




















Meanwhile whilst Billy J. Kramer escapes the clutches of Brian Epstein’s amore by the latter’s buying the farm in June ’67 he cuts this great ode to “the greatest Oriental”. This one is buried on the b-side of the God-awful, stinking Bee Gees penned track “Town of Tuxley toymaker” (you know it’s gonna be some terrible “Cups and cakes” British ‘psychedelia’ with a title like that!). This is by far BJK’s best slice of vinyl and one of the best late 60’s Mersey-beat survivor records...I don’t have this German picture sleeve but I thought I’d paste it in due to Billy’s terrible barnet! My UK copy is on the right….







I know absolutely zip about this one other than they are from the South Coast. A fantastic harmonica lead track that makes The Stones sound like a bunch of lily-livered sissies! It starts like “Some other guy” and is all over in less than 2 minutes. Not surprising when the sneering sleaze of a singer tells the women in question “that all you’ve got is a pretty face”. If that’s the case then just under 2 minutes of my time sounds about right…



The Beat Merchants- Pretty Face




And now some hootchin' & kootchin' from downtown San Diego...Despite the fact that Bernie floats Den’s boat, avert your eyes and tune in your cab doors…This is “Once More” by Bill Forbes…I have searched the highways and byways of this land for this mythical beast…I would sell one of my kidneys to get my hands on this and the other to get my hands on Bernie! Ho-ho!

Bernie Dexter- Once More dance




And so to the end...Den's been settling in to watching Season 2 of "Twin Peaks" and it's been frying his wig...here's more laughs with Coop in a "Wizard of Oz" skit!


Twin Peaks Advert




No comments:

Post a Comment