Monday 2 January 2012

The Beatles 1968 Side 1 in covers

I told you I was gonna hit you folks up out there and after hearing a cover of 'Savoy Truffle' today on a CD done by my big bro my mind raced at all the covers of stuff from the 'White album'. It seems I was walking in to that one a lot of late. I examined a Russian copy the other day that had the photos on the inner cover done in a horrid 'sketch' style like them things you get in photo booths...I swallowed the album whole in Autumn '94 as a 15 year old but would frequently skip 'Ob la di' and 'Revolution 9' but that said it's still my fave Beatles LP!

You can't beat the twist king singing about Communist Russia! You should hear the one about the political prisoners in the Ural salt mines...

Chubby Checker- Back in the U.S.S.R

Always had a soft spot for this one but other than a version by Alanis M******e this is the only cover I'm aware of...Think this one was hawled in from a Dinnington car boot back in the late '90's...

Siouxsie and The Banshees- Dear Prudence

Tricky track 3 that I have begun to warm to as I age like a kipper under the settee. There is certainly not a better version of this out there than Macca in codreggaecmoonliveandletdieragga mode so here it is...

The Beatles- Ob la di ob la da Take 5

Argh! Mother-banger it's the Pixies! I didn't know this one existed until now...'Trompe le Monde' also getting some heavy action Chez Den at the mo...

Pixies- Wild honey pie

I kinda like this one as I'm assuming that Poopy is doing a nod to Yoko's backing vox on this by taking over the whole track...not easy on the ears peeps!

Poopy Lungstuffings- The continuing story of bungalow Bill

A panic came over me when I knew George was next. Too many lame-ass tributes from lame-ass rockers. This is the best cover version out there- go Floyd! Why he's doing it Christ only knows!!

The Muppets- While my guitar gently weeps

This is probably the only song on the album that I knew as a cover before gorging on the album in 1994. Great take that dispenses with a fair few of the lyrics...


The Breeders- Happiness is a warm gun


No comments:

Post a Comment